Monday, January 23, 2012

Spicy Chicken Chili

Last Sunday's dinner... which Eric only ate.  After I added the frozen corn, for some unknown reason, I could stomach eating it.  I felt guilty all week watching Eric eat it day after day for lunch or dinner but I could not bring myself to eat.  He was able to accomplish about 3/4 of what I produced (which filled my 4 quart slow cooker) and he did admit it was pretty spicy.  I actually didn't even take a picture because the corn grossed me out so much.  Maybe the baby will grow up hating corn... I know it has never been one of my favorite veggies...

1 small onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
1 Habanero pepper, seeded and chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
4 carrots, diced
1-2 tbsp EVOO (more or less as needed)
1 14.5oz can of diced tomatoes
1 14.5oz can of diced tomatoes with mild green chiles
1 15oz can of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 15oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
4 c vegetable stock or broth
2 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
3 tbsp hot sauce (Frank's)
1lb cooked, cubed chicken breast
1 c frozen corn
sour cream and cheddar cheese optional as toppings

In a large skillet, heat EVOO over medium heat.  Cook onion, peppers and carrots 5 minutes.  Add garlic.  Continue to cook additional minute.  Add to crockpot.  Add diced tomatoes, beans, stock, and chicken.  Stir well to combine.  Add spices, Frank's and corn.  Stir well.  Heat on high for 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally.  If desired, serve with cooked brown rice and sour cream and cheddar cheese as toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment