Sunday, August 28, 2011

Buffalo Chicken Phyllo Rolls

I'll preface this by saying that I thought I was defrosting a package of puff pastry to make Buffalo Chicken Pastry Squares, something I had thought up when I made Sausage and Spinach Pastry Squares.  Well, after I made the filling for my supposed puff pastries, I realized that I had defrosted a package of phyllo sheets, which I have never used before and had no concept of how to use.  So I read the packaging a few times.  I had to improvise and I ended up with these, which were equally delicious and just means that I have to make Buffalo Chicken Pastry Squares at some point.  The phyllo dough sheets are a tiny bit of a pain to use (with the layering and brushing melted butter on each layer and how thin they are) but I can see where you can make some really cool, delicious foods with them.  Either way, I ended up with 16 rolls and there are no left overs because as Eric rationalized, "These just wouldn't reheat right."



1lb cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, shredded
2 oz blue cheese crumbles
1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 c shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 c hot sauce (we used Frank's)
1 stick butter, melted
16 sheets of phyllo dough, defrosted in the frig
Ranch, blue cheese dressing and hot sauce for dipping if desired

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Lightly spray a large cookie sheet with non stick spray and set aside.  Cover defrosted phyllo sheets with plastic wraps, laying flat, and cover with a damp towel.  In a medium bowl, combine shredded chicken, cheeses, and hot sauce.  Take 3 sheets of phyllo dough and cut into four equal strips (the short way across)-be sure to use a non serrated knife or you will tear the sheets.  Set aside 3 of the 4 phyllo strip layers.  Brush each layer of one strip with melted butter and place atop eachother.  Spoon some of filling (approx 1-2 tbsp) onto one edge of phyllo layered, buttered strip.  Roll, tucking in edges well (or filling will leak... not the end of the world but they look prettier all rolled and tucked right) and place on cookie sheet.  Continue until you have 16 rolls.  Brush tops and sides of rolls with melted butter.  Bake for 17-18 minutes (should appear slightly browned).  Serve with ranch or blue cheese dressing and additional hot sauce if needed for dipping.  Be careful-very hot when they come out.

No comments:

Post a Comment