Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Cheesy Crab Pasta Casserole

I heart heart HEART all things crab, however, crab can be expensive to cook with so I use canned crab, figuring I can save the splurge for non-canned crab when we're out to eat.  I started off with a recipe from a Taste of Home cookbook or rather a concept for a recipe [since I changed it so much...go figure].  I changed the pasta, vegetables, cream sauce, seasonings, etc.  Feel free to do the same since crab is complimented so well by so many different things.  On a side note, I totally loved this so did the husband.  Eric said, "It's so weird-it's just like your Crab Dip... only with pasta and vegetables.  Next time, though, buy live crabs, cook them, and peel them.  Then use that meat."  Yep, Eric, I'll get right on that ;)  Although I will likely not be doing that, I will possibly add in a third can of lump crab meat.... since you can never have enough crab, right?





1/2 lb medium shell pasta
1/4 of each of a green pepper and red pepper, chopped**
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 c cooked broccoli (use fresh broccoli and cook so that stays crisp)
6 tbsp butter, divided
2-6 oz cans of crab meat, drained, flaked
1-half pint heavy whipping cream
1/2 c milk
1 1/2 tbsp flour
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp McCormick Perfect Pinch Roasted Bell Pepper and Garlic
2 c sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about a 8 oz package)
1/2 c mozzarella cheese


Preheat oven to 350 F.  Spray a 2 1/2 quart baking dish with nonstick spray and set aside.  Cook pasta according to directions.  In a medium skillet, melt 4 tbsp butter over medium heat.  To the skillet add the peppers and garlic and cook until crisp tender.  Toss in drained broccoli.  Remove from heat and add drained pasta and crab meat to vegetables.  In a small saucepan, over medium heat, melt remaining 2 tbsp butter.  Add flour to butter, stir well.  Add cayenne pepper and Perfect Pinch.  Add cream and milk and turn heat up to bring to a boil.  Add 1 1/2 c of cheddar cheese and 1/4 c of mozzarella cheese.  Remove from heat and stir till all cheese is melted.  Pour cheese sauce over crab pasta mixture and stir to combine.  Spoon into prepared baking dish and top with remaining cheese.  Bake for 30 minutes.  If desired, place under high broiler for 1 to 2 minutes to brown top of dish.  Serve with salad for a meal for 4.  (There will probably be a small pool of oil from the cheese and butter on top of the dish... if so, use a few paper towels to blot that away and you're good to go... now that made you hungry, didn't it? haha).

**Strange amount of peppers, I know, but as I have said before, I buy peppers in bulk, chop and freeze.  Therefore, I can pull out odd amounts to cook with since I am not the hugest pepper fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment