Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Cassoulet Stuffed Bread Melts

I've been on a Rachael Ray kick lately... apparently.  She said to use white wine or chicken stock-I used white wine... I am realizing I don't like foods as much cooked in white wine.  It used to sound glamorous to me (when I would read recipes that called for white wine [when I didn't know how to cook or I was too lazy to be adventerous]).  However, it isn't as glamorous when you don't completely like what you have made.  Next time I'll use chicken stock.  Considering this is a pretty simple meal, it's also pretty filling... even to Eric's standards.  Quote from Eric:  I'm going to gain 10 lbs this week.



1 french baguette
1 lb sausage, casing removed (I used hot sausage... of course)
2 tbsp EVOO
2 carrots, chopped
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
2 large cloves of garlic, chopped
1 bay leaf
1 tsp dried thyme
1-15 oz can of white beans or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 white wine or chicken stock
1/2 c pasta sauce
slices of cheese: cheddar, Swiss, Gouda, Fontina (enough to cover the tops of 4 bread boats about a 1/4 lb-I used cheddar cheese)
1/4 c freshly chopped parsley

Preheat oven to 200 F.  Crisp the bread in the low oven for 10 minutes.  Remove and cut loaf in half, split lengthwise, and hollow it out-making 4 bread boats. 

Heat EVOO in large skillet over medium high heat and add sausage.  Cook until browned, crumbling as you cook.  Add carrots, onions, garlic, bay leaf, and thyme. (I also feel like this should have a stalk of celery or two chopped and thrown in... next time!)  Cook for 7-8 minutes.  Drain excess oil.  Add beans and stir to combine.  Season with salt and pepper.  Add white wine/chicken stock, scraping the pan.  Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2-3 minutes.  Add pasta sauce.

Turn broiler to high and place the rack 8 inches or so from the heat.  Fill the bread boats with the cassoulet mixture.  Top with slices of cheese.  Place a foil lined cookie sheet.  Melt cheese under broiler and garnish each with parsley.

Serve with fork and knife.  Serves 2-4.

No comments:

Post a Comment