Sunday, December 4, 2011

Chocolate Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies aka Dirty Moneky Cookies

Another item for my 'banana tour in the baking world.'  I found this recipe in one of my cookie recipe books and altered it a little since banana can be an overwhelming flavor in baked goods.  They remind me of a drink that Hearn and our friends were drinking in Key West this summer called the Dirty Monkey (I had a small sip to see why they were all obsessed with the frozen concoction).  These are more of a cake-like type cookie than what you are used to with a typical chocolate chip cookie.  Anyway, the original recipe called for 3 dozen.  I think I just make bigger cookies because I ended up with 2 dozen.  Either way, they are delicious-nice moist cookie with good chocolate flavor and just the right amount of banana flavor to make you think you are eating something healthy.

5 tbsp butter, softened
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c ripe, mashed bananas (about 2 medium)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 c all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1 c semi sweet chocolate chip morsels

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Prepare 2 large cookie sheets; grease.  In a bowl, cream butter and sugar.  Blend in egg, vanilla, and mashed bananas.  Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cocoa powder.  Blend into creamed mixture.  Stir in morsels.  Drop spoonfuls on batter onto prepared cookie sheets and bake for 10-11 minutes or until edges start to brown.  Move to a cooling rack.  Cool completely before storing.

No comments:

Post a Comment