Sunday, December 4, 2011

Chili Pasta Skillet

I cannot believe I made dinner on a Friday night... such a thing is a sin in this house but I had off from work and knew we planned on going out to eat on Saturday night so I figured I'd use my wonderful homemaker skills and cook up a meal for the husband.  He said he liked it but added that he hates diced tomato chunks unless they are the petite ones and that is not the can I used... oops.  Hearn referred to this as a Heart Attack in a Skillet because of the melted cheese layer.  A quick easy meal.

1 lb lean ground beef
1/2 onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 15.5oz can of red kidney beans, drained and washed
1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 c tomato sauce
1/2 c water
1/2 c uncooked elbow macaroni
1 4oz can of diced green chiles, drained
2 tbsp chili powder
1/4 tsp Cayene pepper
1/2 c of shredded Monterey Jack cheese

In a large skillet, cook ground beef, onion, and garlic.  Drain off excess fat.  Add kidney beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, uncooked macaroni, chiles, chili powder, and Cayene pepper.  Bring to boil for 2-3 minutes.  Reduce heat to low and cover.  Continue to cook for 30 minutes or until macaroni have cooked.  Remove from heat and sprinkle with shredded cheese.  Cover and let sit until cheese has melted.  Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment