Thursday, June 23, 2011

Minestrone Plus

I know... it's the summer---who eats soup in the summer?!  I do.  I hate eating very heavy food in the summer.  I hate the heat-it does a number on my appetite so my day to day diet typically consists of fruit, salads, and sometimes soups.  I liked this one a lot.  I actually made it Tuesday but hadn't gotten the chance to blog it.  I also have been eating the left overs since Tuesday (bonus points).  It was super easy, minimal mess (triple bonus points) and I got to use my crock pot for the first time in a while.  It reminds me of another one of my favorite recipes, Italian Sub Stoup (which I love love LOVE) and that also gives this huge bonus points... although the Italian Sub Stoup was waaayyy more awesome than this.  I also made Winter Minestrone, which was pretty tasty as well.  Both of those were adapted Rachael Ray recipes... this came from a Better Homes and Garden slow cooker cookbook.  Enjoy... I did :)



1 lb lean ground beef
1/4 onion, finely chopped
2 large garlic cloves, minced
2 19-oz cans of preferred minestrone soup (I use Progresso High Fiber Minestrone)
1 14.5-oz diced can tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
2 c vegetable broth or stock
handful of basil leaves, coarsely chopped
1 medium potato, diced into bite size pieces
1/4 c finely shredded parmesan cheese
kosher salt, black pepper


In a large skillet cook meat, onion, and garlic until meat is browned and onion/garlic are tender.  Drain fat.  In a 3 1/2-4 quart slow cooker combine meat mixture, minestrone soup, diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, potato, and basil leaves.  Stir well.  Season with salt and pepper.

Cover and cook on low heat for 7 to 8 hours or on high heat for 3 to 4 hours.  Sprinkle each serving with parmesan cheese and service with slice of garlic toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment