Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Citrus Sauced Pork Chops

So after a night "off" (I made tacos, beans and rice last night) it's onto something new to try.  Most of my (good) friends will tease me because they know how picky I am or rather how I am afraid to try new things especially when it comes to food.  Some of them can even tell you exactly what meal I order at what restaurant, opting not to try anything else once I've found *my favorite* meal there.  I am so picky [aka fearful of trying new things] that I have refused to try entire continents worth of food (in fact I've been known to reply "Nothing from the continent of Asia" when asked where I'd like to go to eat) or I will refuse to try certain flavors at all.  Citrus inspired main courses are one of those things.  So I tried to step out of my comfort zone on this one.  I was not a huge fan of using any additional sauce but it gave a good flavor (in small amounts) to the pork and carrots.  In the end, I will most likely not make this meal again unless Eric comes home and loves it... he is the hungry one after all.... ;)


1 c low sodium chicken broth, divided
1/4 c corn starch, divided
3-4 pork chops, 1/2 inch thick
Salt and pepper
2 tsp Creole seasonings
2 tbsp corn oil
2 c orange juice
1 1/2 c baby carrots
2 tbsp minced onions
3 tbsp honey
1 tbsp light corn syrup
1 tbsp white vinegar
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped, divided
1-2 c brown rice, cooked

Stir 1/4 c chicken broth and 2 tbsp corn starch in a small bowl until smooth, set aside.  Season pork with salt, pepper, and Creole seasoning.  Coat lightly with remaining 2 tbsp corn starch.  Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat.  Add pork chops.  Cook turning once 8-10 minutes or until done.  Remove from pan and keep warm.  Drain any excess fat from skillet.  Add remaining chicken broth, orange juice, carrots, and onion.  Cover.  Simmer 12-15 minutes or until carrots are tender.  Stir honey, corn syrup, vinegar, Dijon mustard, and crushed red pepper into corn starch mixture.  Mix well and add to skillet.  Stirring constantly, bring to boil over medium heat and boil 5 minutes.  Stir in 1 tbsp of parsley parsley.  Spoon rice onto plate, top with pork.  Spoon carrots on top and spoon some of citrus sauce on top.  Top with remaining 1 tbsp of parsley.  Reserve some extra sauce to serve with meal.

Meal for 2-4 depending on size of pork chops.

No comments:

Post a Comment