Monday, September 10, 2012

Pina Colada Cupcakes with Coconut Whipped Topping

So apparently, Hearn has decided that the amount of alcohol I have currently in our basement is embarrassing, ridiculous and unbecoming of a mom of 30 and he assures me that he will not be transporting all "this" (as he waves his hands at the 30+...give or take 20... bottles on our unfinished basement floor aka our liquor cabinet) across state lines to Delaware.  AKA I am no longer allowed to binge drink as I did in my youth and need to discard of the evidence.  Wow.  I just got old.  So in my infinite wisdom, I have decided that I will bake with it.  He did add that I am allowed to take my growing collection of fruit specialty wines.  Well, thank you, king of the castle... thank you for that.
 
20oz can of crushed pineapple
1/3 c coconut rum
3/4 c coconut milk*
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 c all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 c butter, room temperature
2/3 c sugar
3 eggs
1 c sweetened shredded coconut

whipped topping:

1 1/2 c heavy whipping cream
1/3 c powdered sugar
1/2 tsp coconut extract

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Drain juice from pineapple.  Reserve 1 c pineapple and 1/4 c of the juice**.  In small bowl, whisk together rum, coconut milk, vanilla extract.  Set aside.  In small bowl, whisk flour and baking soda.  Set aside.  In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar till fluffy.  Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.  Alternating flour and milk mixture, incorporate into butter mixture, beating well after each addition.  Fold in pineapple and shredded coconut.  Spoon into lined cupcake tin, filling 3/4 way full.  Makes approximately 18-20 cupcakes.  Bake 25 minutes or until tops spring back to the touch.

Once cooled, combine all topping ingredients and beat on high until stiff peaks form.  Pipe as desired onto cupcakes.  Store in an airtight container in the frig.


*Do not make the same mistake I did... you can save the rest of the can in the frig for 10 days or freeze for 3 months... I was dumping it down the drain as I read the can...booo!

**Use left over juice and crushed pineapple along with coconut rum to enjoy a cocktail while you bake!

No comments:

Post a Comment