Monday, November 21, 2011

Spanish Rice Bake

When I first saw this recipe, I printed it but didn't make it for quite a while.  I knew it was something Eric would like but I had doubts about my palate enjoying it based on the ingredients.  Bottom line, if I had room, I would have gone back for a second spoonful but baby Bean is taking up too much room in his residence.


1lb ground beef
1/2 onion, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1/2 c chopped green pepper
1 14.5oz can of fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 c water
3/4 c uncooked brown rice
1/2 c chile sauce (I used Frank's Red Hot Sweet Chili sauce)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper (I added more to my own dish)
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sace
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 to 3/4 c shredded cheddar (Mexican cheese blend)

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Brown the ground beef and drain off excess fat.  Transfer to a large pot over medium low heat.  Stir in onion, garlic, green pepper, diced tomatoes, water, chile sauce, salt, brown sugar, Cayenne pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and pepper.  Let this simmer (uncovered) for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Transfer to a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish and press down into dish with wooden spoon.  Sprinkle top of shredded cheese.  Bake for 30 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment