Sunday, November 20, 2011

Kickin' Chicken Chili

I should've used my smaller crock pot for this but I don't know if it's a big deal to use a bigger one than needed.  Ususally, I make chili with rice or have good bread here but we're having a rice dish at some point in this three day week so I opted for whole wheat rolls although in this case, rice may have been slightly more appropriate considering Eric asked, "Where's the rice?"  Anyway, this made 2-3 servings I would assume... I took about a ladle and a half meanwhile Eric took 3-4 and there is about what he took left over.  I would shred the chicken instead next time.

1lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tbsp EVOO
10 oz of frozen sweet pepper and onion stir fry vegetables
1 1/2 c prepared salsa
1 15oz can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes with onion and garlic
1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
1 small can of tomato juice
Sour cream and shredded cheese optional toppings

In a bowl, combine cumin, salt, and pepper.  Toss chicken in spices to gently coat.  In a large non stick skillet, heat EVOO over medium high heat.  Cook chicken in hot oil until lightly browned.  Drain off fat.  Combine chicken, frozen vegetables, salsa, drained beans, tomatoes, and Cayenne pepper.  Stir in tomato juice.  Cover and cook on low setting for 4 to 5 hours or on high setting for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.  Serve with sour cream and cheese if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment