Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Spinach and Spicy Ham Pasta Bake

When I planned my meals for this week, I had decided I would try this one even though I was pretty sure I would not like it.  We've had a lot of chicken lately since it's a good lean protein but I think we both needed a change up.  I second [and triple and quadruple] guessed this one because it involved utilizing the deli counter.  Sounds strange, I know, but most people [well only Eric knew till now] don't know that I'm terrified of the deli counter for some reason.  I have no idea where this fear originated and we've only recently discovered it a year or so ago when Eric went on a 'lunch meat sandwich for work' kick.... needless to say, that kick didn't last long... Burger King, Taco Bell, Wawa, "The Chinese Food Buffet" (because as he says "I can't enjoy Chinese food when you're around so I HAVE to eat it at work" and by he eat it, he means several plates in one sitting) and some place called Jake's that sells "the best" burgers started becoming 'lunch.'  Apparently, Elkton, MD is the place to go for the best burger... right.  So we realized that I didn't "do" the whole deli counter scene when Eric was not present at the grocery store (or as we call it 'the food store'---we get made fun of in Rdg for saying that) with me-I would come home empty handed and play stupid... he didn't buy it.  On several trips, he attempted to refuse to do it for me, however, this game does not work in his favor as I can live without deli meat.

Anyway, there were several factors pointing in the direction of 'do not try this recipe.'  However, I'm very pleasantly surprised and in fact, I did something that I rarely do... I had seconds.  Again, it's inspired by a Rachael Ray recipe of the same name from her 365: No Repeats cook book... although it has been altered... of course.




Kosher salt
1/2 lb gremelli pasta or cavatappi (any corkscrew type pasta)
3 tbsp EVOO
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1/4 yellow onion, chopped  (note to remember: I tone down all recipes that call for '1 whole onion' as this did)
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 tbsp flour
1 c milk (whole or 2%)
1/4 lb capocollo (spicy ham) cut in half and then into ribbons
5 oz of frozen spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry
1 c parmesan cheese, shredded
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
8 oz of fresh mozzarella, cubed
1/2 c Alfredo sauce
1/2 c Italian style dry bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Cook pasta as directed, being sure to salt the water well.  Heat a medium, deep skillet to medium heat.  Add 1 tbsp of EVOO and 2 tbsp of butter.  When butter is melted, add onions and garlic.  Season well with salt and pepper.  Cook for 3-4 minutes.  Sprinkle the onion garlic mix with flour and continue for additional 1-2 minutes.  Slowly whisk in melk and bring the milk to a gentle bubble.  Mixture will begin to thicken.  Stir in capocollo, spinach, and 3/4 of parmesan.  Season with cayenne pepper and remove from heat.  Add additional salt if needed. 

Combine cooked pasta, cubed mozarella, and Alfredo sauce with the capocollo spinach sauce.  Transfer to a lightly sprayed 2 1/2 quart baking dish. 

In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs, remaining 2 tbsp of EVOO, and remaining 1/4 c of Parmesan cheese.  Sprinkle the mixture over the top of the pasta evenly.  Bake the pasta for 25 minutes.  Then turn broiler to high heat and broil for 1 minute till top is browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment