Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Chicken in Basil Cream

First off, I was very excited to eat this meal.  I was going to make it last week but we already had too many left overs.  I was going to make it tonight but came home in a terrible, cranky, irritable mood and I was super tired.  In a moment of weakness, Eric asked if there was anything he could do to help me (I was just starting to cook) and I said "You want to help?  Here's the recipe" and walked out of the kitchen.  It was mean of me [I know! I know!] but he survived (although he nearly set off the smoke detector [he says] and he didn't do things exactly as I would have).  Regardless, let me tell you-the meal tasted even better because I didn't have to make it for once :)



1/4 c milk
1/4 c Italian style dry bread crumbs
1 lb of chicken, cut into 4 portions and pounded to 1/2 inch thick if necessary
3 tbsp butter
1/2 c chicken broth
1 c heavy whipping cream
1-2 oz jar sliced pimientos, drained
1/2 c Parmesan cheese, grated
1/4 c fresh basil, chopped
1/8 tsp pepper

Place milk and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Heat a large non stick skillet to medium high and melt butter.  Dip chicken in milk then coat with bread crumbs.  Cook chicken in heated skillet on both sides till juices run clear about 10 minutes.  Remove from skillet and keep warm with foil.

Add broth to the skillet and bring to a boil over medium heat.  Use spatula to loosen browned bits off pan.  Stir in the heavy cream and pimientos.  Bring to boil and stir for 1 minute.  Reduce heat.  Add Parmesan cheese, basil, and pepper.  Cook and stir until heated through.  Pour over plated chicken.

Eric used Kraft "sprinkle" cheese (as I have always known it since childhood) instead of grating the block of parmesan cheese I had.  He said that he was scared of the grater since I have literally grated portions of my hand with the box grater.  I may have also used a little minced garlic... but only because I add garlic to everything out of [bad] habit. 

He served the chicken and sauce with green beans and it was most definitely *delicious foods*.  He asked if I was going to blog it and I said of course but he was adamant that he receive credit. 

So thank you Eric... you're the best!!

No comments:

Post a Comment