Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Pesto Chicken Penne Casserole

So this week I am on a kick to make larger than we need meals so that I can freeze half for when Bean is born.  I made Chili on Sunday and on Tuesday for Hallmark Holiday, I'll make My Lasagna.  And then if I make it to Wednesday, I'll make a pepper, sausage and rice casserole that I'll post.  Tonight's dinner I was very excited for because I love pesto and cheese and I loved this.  Very simple and makes it easy to either divide it into two casseroles for easier freezing or make one big casserole for a larger family or gathering.

1 13.25oz package of whole wheat penne (you can use non wheat penne-the non wheat pasta box will just have a tad more pasta in it)
1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken, cooked and diced
16oz Italian cheese blend, shredded
2 1/2 c frozen spinach
1 15oz can fire roasted with garlic diced tomatoes (do not drain)
1 15oz jar Alfredo sauce
1 1/2 c milk (not skim milk!!!)
1 8.1oz jar prepared pesto
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 c seasonsed bread crumbs
3/4 c parmesan cheese, grated
1 tbsp EVOO

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Cook pasta according to directions.  Microwave spinach in a small bowl for 1 minute, set aside.  In a large bowl, combine chicken, Italian cheese, spinach, tomatoes, Alfredo sauce, milk, pesto and black pepper.  Drain pasta well and add to chicken mixture.  Toss to mix thoroughly.

Transfer evenly to two greased 8x8 inch square baking dishes.  In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, parmesan cheese and EVOO.  Sprinkle over both casseroles.  Cover one dish well with foil and freeze for up to 3 months.  Cover and bake remaining casserole for 35 minutes.  Remove foil and bake additional 10 minutes.  Serve with salad for meal for 4.

To use frozen casserole, remove from freezer and defrost in frig overnight.  Remove 30 minutes before baking and cover and bake at 350 F for 50 minutes, uncover and bake additional 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment