Tuesday, August 30, 2011

My Lasagna

I've been making this lasagna for quite awhile (just about as long as we've been married) and have received many a compliment on it (not to brag but I guess I am) but I never actually had a recipe.  I typically 'eyeballed' all of the ingredients based on palm size or what things looked like or what the texture was so the last few times I made it, I kept track of how much of the ingredients I used and decided that this is as close as we're going to get to what I typically do.  It's a heavy dish and is not something to be eaten by someone on a diet and I don't recommend making this with just two people in mind.  I'll sometimes make 2-3 trays of it for parties.  Sometimes I make it when we're having people over for dinner.  Sometimes I'll freeze half of the tray.  Sometimes I apparently make it when I'm almost 15 weeks pregnant because the thought of having to eat lasagna for multiple days makes me smile.  Sometimes I make Eric eat it as leftovers for a week because as he says, "This is one sexy looking and tasting lasagna."



1 lb ground beef
3 garlic cloves, chopped
12 lasagna noodles
22 oz part skim milk ricotta cheese
2 eggs
2 c shredded parmesan cheese, divided
3 c shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1/4 c parsley flakes
2 jars pasta sauce
1/4 c water

Preheat oven to 350 F.  In a large skillet brown grounded beef.  When the beef is almost done (mostly browned but slightly pink), add the chopped garlic to pan and continue to cook until beef is completely browned.  Drain well and add to a large bowl.  Add pasta sauce to bowl, adding some of the water to each jar to get all of the sauce out.  Begin cooking lasagna noodles according to package directions to al dente doneness.  In a small bowl, combine ricotta, 1 cup of parmesan cheese, 2 cups of mozzarella cheese, parsley flakes and 2 eggs.  Mix well.  Lightly grease a 13x9 pan and add about 1 cup of sauce mixture to bottom. Reserve 1 to 1 1/2 c of sauce for top. Place pan on a cookie to catch any spill over.  Drain noodles once done and rinse with cold water, drain well again.  Lay 3 noodles on bottom of pan.  Distribute 1/3 of cheese mixture over noodles (doesn't have to be perfectly even-it will melt in oven and distribute better) and 1/3 of saucde mixture.  Continue with next 2 layers of noodles.  Top with remaining noodles and sauce mixture.  Sprinkle remaining 1 cup of parmesan and 1 cup of mozzarella cheese over top.  Cover with foil that has been sprayed with non stick spray and bake for 45 minutes.  Remove foil and bake additional 15 minutes.  Place under high broiler for 1-2 minutes for browned top.  Let sit for 30 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds yummy and easy I may try this!****Allison Mangan

    ReplyDelete