Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Spinach Blue Cheese Bacon Stuffed Chicken

When I told Eric what we were having for dinner, he responded, "How did you come up with that combination?"  This exchange was through text message and he never responded when I asked him if he was scared.  He'd better hope that my ability to only eat small amounts of food at a time doesn't change over the next hour and half while he drives home... because if I suddenly have even a little more room in my gut, he may be on his own for dinner.  I just made this with some green beans; I've been carbing it up a little too much with my cravings for cereal, English muffins, bagels, and all other bland foods.  We're apparently on a semi Atkins diet tonight.


1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 3-4 equal size pieces and pounded to 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick
2 slices of baon, cooked, drained, and chopped
1 c frozen, chopped spinach
1/2 c blue cheese crumbles
2 tbsp flour
salt, pepper
1/2 tbsp garlic powder
1/2 c panko bread crumbs
1 egg
2-3 tbsp EVOO

Defrost spinach and squeeze as dry as possible.  Combine with blue cheese and bacon; mix.  Preheat oven to 350 F.  Lay pounded chicken breasts and distribute spinach mixture onto one half of each.  Fold chicken over filling and secure with 2-4 toothpicks.  Heat EVOO in a large non stick skillet over medium high heat.  In three separate bowls, place flour, then egg, then panko and garlic.  Dredge stuffed chicken carefully through flour then egg then garlic panko (slightly awkward with the toothpicks and chances are you will lose some stuffing).  Place in heated oil and brown on each side.  Place on a lined greased baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes.  I then had about 1/4 c of stuffing left, which I picked at while I waited for the chicken to be done and then sprinkled some of the remaining bit on the tops... who could ever have enough blue cheese and bacon atop crispsy packo chicken?!

No comments:

Post a Comment