Sunday, October 30, 2011

Jamaican Chili

We both liked this but we decided that we still like my chili better.  It's a little sweeter and not as spicey as we like... hence, being Jamaican chili, I guess.  Anyway, it was definitely a good flavor and I would make it again... although I would probably add some heat like a 1/2 to 1 tsp of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes.  Either way at least I got my protein in for the weekend since I'm realizing I barely eat any meat (or any form of protein) lately.  It made about the right amount for four people... filled the large crock pot a little more than half way... instead of my chili, which practically overflows from the crock pot and I eat it for lunch for a week.

PS.  Chili does NOT photograph well with a cell phone camera
1lb ground beef
2 tsp EVOO
1/2 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp chile powder
2 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp Caribbean jerk seasoning
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Allspice
1 tsp cilantro
1 14.5oz can kidney beans, rinsed
1 15oz can cannellini beans, rinsed
1 14.5oz fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 6oz can tomato paste
1 tbsp balasmic vinegar
1 c water
1 5.5oz can tomato juice
2 c cooked brown rice

In a large non stick skillet, heat EVOO over medium high heat.  Cook onion and pepper until onion is tender.  Add ground beef and garlic.  Continue to cook until meat is no longer pink.  Drain excess fat.  Turn crockpot to high heat.  Combine beans, tomatoes, tomato paste, and all seasonings.  Once meat and vegetable mixture is cooked and drained, add to crock pot.  Mix well to combine thoroughly.  Add balasmic vinegar, water, and tomato juice; again mix well.  Let cook on high heat for 4-5 hours.  Serve over rice.  Serves 4 people.  Add cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes for some heat!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment