Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Pepperoni Pizza Chili

I had my doubts on this one (it seemed too tomato based for my liking) but I decided to give it a whirl anyway.  I'm happy I did :)  The original recipe stated it made 8 servings.... well, not when Eric devours half (if not, 3/4) of the pot!!  Delish with garlic toast.


1lb ground beef
1/4 onion, diced
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 can (16 oz) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15 oz) pizza sauce
1 can (14.5 oz) Italian style diced tomatoes
1 c tomato sauce
1 1/2 c vegetable broth or stock
4 oz sliced pepperoni
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp salt
5 basil leaves, sliced thin
Shredded mozzarella cheese to garnish



In a large skillet, cook ground beef over medium heat.  Add onion and garlic.  Cook until beef is no longer pink and vegetables are slightly tender.  Drain well.  In a 3 1/2-4 quart crock pot, combine cooked beef mixture, beans, pizza sauce, tomatoes, tomato sauce, vegetable broth, pepperoni, seasonings and basil in crock pot.  Stir well to combine.  Cook on high for 1 hr.  Turn to low for 2 hours.  Serve with shredded mozzarella cheese and garlic toast.

2 comments: