Friday, July 29, 2011

Pasta Fagioli

So I've been on strike from cooking... well, not really, but Eric has seemed to pick up the slack... or at least keep himself well fed.  I've been snacking a little too much and in no real mood to cook.  I thought I'd redeem myself by cooking dinner on a Friday (unheard of in this house!) and it went over very well especially for a husband who did not eat lunch since he was just too excited (aka upset that we would have a car payment again).  Anyway, I had started a binder a few years ago of recipes from websites and magazines that I wanted to try.  Needless to say, I only touch the binder for two or three recipes consistently but realized the other day that there is a plethora of delicious foods to be eaten.  So I gave this one a whirl and we both enjoyed it :)



1 tbsp EVOO
3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
4 c vegetable broth or stock
2 c water
2 c tomato sauce
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 lb small pasta (I used small elbow macaroni)
1 c of peeled carrots, sliced into thin coins
1 15oz can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 lb Capicola ham, diced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
4 basil leaves, coarsely torn
grated parmesan cheese (optional)

Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat.  Add garlic and cook 1 minute.  Stir in broth, water, tomato sauce, and Italian seasoning.  Bring to boil for 2 minutes.  Add pasta and carrots.  Reduce heat to simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Stir in beans, Capicola, salt, pepper, and basil leaves.  Heat through for 5 minutes.  Serve warm with grated cheese and garlic bread or crusty Italian bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment