Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Sausage in Ratatouille

First off, I was not in the mood to cook but I am happy I did (and Eric is as well-he's been feeding himself the last few days and let's just say it has not been too healthy).  Secondly, I don't mind the rain.  I don't mind the traffic it easily creates.  I don't even particularly mind how much longer the rain makes everything take.  However, I do mind that the dogs then are left for 10 1/2 (almost 11) hours and decide that they hungry and eat a board game and strew its remnants all over my [clean] house.  I tried to go for an eggplant because the recipe called for one and in an effort to eat more vegetables, I wanted to follow this recipe.  I was supposed to get one from my dad's garden this weekend.  I was then supposed to get one on my way home from work and other errands.  Let's just say the rain had other plans.  Either way this turned out good and full of colorful vegetables and flavor.  If only it had some purple eggplant in there...  but we're both happily full so that's what count.



2-3 tbsp EVOO, divided
1/2 onion, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 zucchini, sliced about 1/2 inch and cut into quarters
1 small eggplant, cut into small chunks
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1 yellow pepper, diced
1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
2/3 c vegetable broth
1 tsp of kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 lb Italian sausage links cut into three equal parts
4 basil leaves, sliced into ribbons

Preheat oven to 400 F.  Heat a large skillet over medium heat and saute onions in 1 tbsp of EVOO for 5 minutes.  Add garlic, zucchini, eggplant, and peppers.  Turn heat to medium high heat.  Add additional EVOO if needed.  Cook 10 minutes.  Add can of tomatoes, vegetable broth, salt and pepper.  Bring to a boil for 2 minutes.

Transfer to a 2 1/2 quart baking dish and nestle sausages into vegetable mixture.  Sprinkle basil ribbons on top.  Bake for 30-40 minutes until sausages cooked through.  Serve with garlic bread and we also topped with shredded mozzarella cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment