Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Spinach, Cheese and Ham Stuffed Shells

I adapted this recipe to shells from manicotti because if I had attempted to purchase another box of pasta this weekend, Hearn may have had my head.  I've mentioned before that I coupon and sometimes I go a little overboard on stockpiling.  Pasta is a perfect example of this.  At this exact moment, I most likely own 25-30 lbs of pasta in my basement.  Now don't get me wrong... I get it for free or for little cost so I don't feel entirely badly about it and besides, pasta has a long shelf life.  Regardless, I wasn't about to try my luck after I made him go into Target and we came out with nothing-this, he felt, was a waste of his time.  For those interested in couponing, these are my two favorite sites For The Mommas and Living Rich with Coupons.  Anyway, here is our delish meal :)  The Capicola ham and red pepper flakes give it a little kick!






15 jumbo pasta shells
1/3 c parmesan cheese, freshly grated
1/4 c mozzarella cheese, shredded

filling:
2 tbsp butter
8 oz frozen spinach, thawed, chopped, and drained
1 c ricotta cheese
1/2 c parmesan cheese, freshly grated
1/4 c mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/4 lb cooked ham, chopped (I used Capicola but feel free to adapt)
2 tbsp heavy cream
2 eggs, lightly beaten
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

sauce:
2 tbsp butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 c all purpose flour
1 1/4 c milk
2 tbsp heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375 F.

To making filling, melt butter in a large pan over low heat and cook spinach for 2-3 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in ricotta, parmesan cheese, and harm.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Add red pepper flakes.  Beat in eggs and heavy cream.  Set aside.

Boil pasta as directed on package to al dente.  Drain and rinse with cool water to stop cooking.

To make sauce, melt butter in a sauce pan and add garlic.  Stir in flour and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Gradually stir in milk.  Let simmer for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Stir in heavy cream, salt and pepper to taste and let simmer additional 2-3 minutes.  Remove from heat.

Spoon a little sauce into a baking dish (an 8x8 pan is slightly crowded but it cooks fine in it).  Spoon filling into shells and place into dish in a single layer.  Pour over the remaining sauce.  Sprinkle with parmesan and mozzarella cheeses and bake uncovered for 35 minutes.  If desired, place under high broiler for 1-2 minutes to make top golden brown and crusty.  Serve with salad for dinner for 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment