Friday, October 21, 2011

Banana Cupcakes with Nutella Frosting

I've been getting bored with making banana bread when Eric overbuys on his banana stash for the week and besides, he's actually been judging pretty well and I've been stealing his bananas for my bowl of Special K.  I found this recipe on a coupon blog I frequent and since I recently purchased a jar of Nutella because it was pretty damn cheap, I figured I'd give it a whirl.

Banana Cupcake:
1 1/2 c all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
3/4 c sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 large very ripe bananas, mashed

Nutella Frosting:
1 c Nutella (nearly all of a 13oz jar)
8 oz cream cheese, softened
8 oz confectioner's sugar (I have a kitchen scale... but eyeballing it, it seemed about 1 1/2 to 2 cups)

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small mixing bowl and set aside.  In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in vanilla and eggs one at a time.  Beat in flour mixture until just combined.  Fold in mashed bananas and mix until well blended.  Spoon into lined muffin cups (makes about 16 cups).  Bake 25-30 minutes or until tester comes out clean.  When finished, cool on a wire rack.

In a large bow, beat Nutella and cream cheese until well combined.  Gradually beat in confectioner's sugar and beat on high until well blended.  Frost cooled cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment