Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Ricotta Pasta with Grape Tomatoes, Basil, and Sausage=DISAPPOINTMENT

So in the process of making this meal that I was not satisfied with, I lost a portion of my thumb skin while using the box grater.  This is something I had done repeatedly about a year ago, so much that the skin on the knuckles of my thumbs are dotted with battle wounds from losing to the box grater.  Eric has tried to replace my need to use a box grater.  One year he searched everywhere to find me an "Olive Garden" grater.  However, I turned it down and had him return it (the box grater has different sizes-the 'Olive Garden' grater does not).  He had me only buy preshredded cheese for a while.  But that's just not the same as freshly grated cheeses.  Then we found an electronic shredder at Target on clearance with a variety of sizes for blades.  There was a reason it was on clearance (it ran *only* on batteries and it was super slow... even for me).  So I got better at grating cheese.... till today.

Besides all of that, I started off with inspiration from a Rachael Ray recipe and ended up disappointed.  It needed more flavor and Ricotta cheese is a strange base to coat non baked pasta... in my opinion.  Eric looked at it and as I knew he would said, "Is red sauce going on this?"  Once he added red sauce, he was good to go.  I, on the other hand, was left disappointed and wounded and hungry :(  I share it only because maybe you will like it.




1/2 lb penne or rotini pasta
kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 c ricotta cheese
2 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 c parmesan cheese
2 tbsp EVOO
1 large garlic clove, minced
2 tbsp onion, chopped
10 basil leaves, coarsely chopped
1/2 pint grape tomatoes, cut in half
1 lb hot Italian sausage

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Cook sausage for 20 minutes.  Slice into 1/4 inch pieces once cooked.  Prepare pasta as directed on packaged.  Cook to al dente.  In a large bowl, combine ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, and butter.  Heat a medium skillet over medium heat and add EVOO.  Add onions, garlic, and slices of sausage.  Cook for 7-8 minutes.  Drain pasta and add to bowl of cheeses.  Toss to melt butter and be sure that pasta is evenly coated.  Season with salt and pepper.  Top the pasta with sausage, garlic, and onion mixture.  Add basil and grape tomatoes.  Season with salt and pepper.

And then... add red sauce as Eric did ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment