Thursday, March 10, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars


I have a confession to make: most of the time, my cookie bars are not from scratch.  I think most everyone that has eaten these [when I had them here/brought them to a party/was asked to bring them somewhere] assumed that I make these from scratch.  Technically, I don't think you could say I lied about this fact.  I don't believe I was ever point blank asked "did you make these from scratch?" but I admit I let people believe that.  Don't get me wrong-I make most baked goods from scratch and can even make these from scratch-but I typically get a little help from Betty Crocker on this one.  In the end though, the direction on the back of these cookie pouches are not the ones I follow but rather I went through a few variations before I arrived at this one.  Following the cookie pouch directions, they come out too thin and who doesn't like a thick cookie?  So here's my secret on these.

2 Betty Crocker Chocolate Chip Cookie pouches
2 sticks of butter, unsalted
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 F.  In a small bowl, place the two sticks of butter and microwave for 30 seconds.  You don't want them completely melted but rather more soft (a little melted is fine).  In a large bowl, place the contents of the 2 cookie pouches, 2 eggs, and 2 sticks of butter.  Mix until all of the cookie mix is incorporated with the egg and butter.  Spread evenly into a lightly butter sprayed 13x9 pan.  Bake 30-33 minutes.  The bars should start to look lightly browned and the center of the pan should not 'jiggle' a whole lot when you shake the pan.  Yes, I do a jiggle test on these.  A fork test is no good because they will seem slightly undone in the center but they continue to cook once you pull them out.  Let them sit till cooled.

No comments:

Post a Comment